UPVC door and Yale lock
Post your questions and get answers concerning many areas of this subject

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
monday222
Labourer
Labourer

UPVC door and Yale lock

Post by monday222 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:35 am

I have a upvc door with a Yale lock in it. In order to lock the door I have to leave the key in it. If the door is open the lock (or cyclinder will turn completely and I can remove the key). However if I shut the door will only lock if I leave the key - I hvae tried WD40 but no luck in shifting it - any ideas what could be wrong?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:08 pm

monday222,
Good chance that the lock tongue is hitting something in the lock recess, maybe it is not deep enough. Measure how far the tongue sticks out of the door edge when locked in the open position, then measure the recess.
end

locksnstuff
Labourer
Labourer

your receivers are to shallow

Post by locksnstuff » Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:14 pm

yeah the reason why you can't remove your key is because the key has to turn its full rotation in order to be removed. the key turns the cam on the lock thus engaging the gearbox of the multi-lock system. some locks have a wind up motion which means that the bolt is literally wound out by the motion of the key.
get the people who fitted your system (obviously not locksmiths)to make the receivers deeper. You then should be able to use your locks correctly.

PNC
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by PNC » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:18 pm

Has the cam slipped on the cylinder?
Unscrew the retaining bolt on the side and remove the cylinder. The cam should sit at about 5 or 7 o'clock. If it's sitting at 11 or 1 o'clock you should replace it.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:39 am