UPVC Door Lock Problems - help !
Post your questions and get answers concerning many areas of this subject

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
DanGriff
Labourer
Labourer

UPVC Door Lock Problems - help !

by DanGriff » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:40 pm

I have just changed my UPVC euro cylinder lock in the front door, I have discovered that the mechanism to open the door using the key does not work. I can turn the key in the right direction, but there is no movement in lock, and no spring back for the key. The mechanism that engages the mushroom roller works perfectly, as does the door handle from the inside. The obvious thing is to replace the lock, but I am moving house and having spent £20 on the cylinder and with a replacement lock looking at the best part of £100 I am keen to know whether or not I can take the lock apart and fix somehow.

Regards,

DanGriff

cjw118
Labourer
Labourer

by cjw118 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:11 am

If you have changed the 'euro cylinder lock' and the latch will still not release when you turn the key then it does indicate the multipoint lock is at fault.

Having dismantled a few lock cases on multipoint locks before, i can tell you it is quite easy if you have the correct tools and the case is screwed together. The hard part is getting hold of the replacement parts to fix it. Generally they are not available and you have to buy a complete new multipoint lock anyway.

My advise is; if a potential buyer or property surveyor will notice the faulty door then spend £100 getting it fixed. If you don't and they spot it they may begin to look at other parts of the house more closely.

You may be able to pick one up for less than £100!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:37 pm