Using existing Shower Supply to feed loft ring
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
saezr
Labourer
Labourer

Using existing Shower Supply to feed loft ring

by saezr » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:32 pm

Looking to install a few plugs for TV's etc in my loft (general 13Amps equipment).

Only existing cable in the loft is individually protected shower cable, (RCD) would it be possible to break into shower cable and take a spur for two sockets in the loft?

Thanks....

TOPSPARK
Ganger
Ganger

by TOPSPARK » Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:37 pm

NO definitely not a shower circuit is a shower circuit and not to be cut into and used for any other purpose.And this is the same for cooker circuits as well.
regards
Topspark

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Using existing Shower Supply to feed loft ring

by BLAKEY1963 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:36 pm

[quote="saezr"]Looking to install a few plugs for TV's etc in my loft (general 13Amps equipment).

Only existing cable in the loft is individually protected shower cable, (RCD) would it be possible to break into shower cable and take a spur for two sockets in the loft?

Thanks....[/quote]

saezr

VERY DANGEROUS PRACTISE.
Do not break in to shower cable , to take spurs for sockets.
The shower is on its own dedicated circuit , and has been
designed for separate use only.
A separate circuit should be run for the socket outlets in the
loft.

BLAKEY1963

saezr
Labourer
Labourer

THANKS

by saezr » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:44 pm

Thanks as i thought was just hoping and praying not to have to run a new cable.

Many Thanks Again,
Ricky

ladaman348
Labourer
Labourer

loft supply

by ladaman348 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:33 am

hello ricky

actually, spurring off the shower circuit is possible and could be safe but you would have to use 6mm cable to match what has been used for the shower.

that way the 40 amp circuit breaker for the shower would also protect the socket wiring.

also, you would have to be wary of using heavy current demanding appliances (heaters) in the loft because if you were having a shower at the same time then possible to pop the mcb.

to my mind, certainly an option if your existing fuse box is located in the basement and it is difficult to get an extra radial circuit up there, and if you only intend to have TV and other light current devices then i can't see any reason why not. certainly not illegal. just make sure the shower cable is matched (could be 10mm if shower 10kW type)

you could install a small box with a 16A mcb and then use 2.5 mm cable for your sockets, that would be safe...remember to match the cable size to the input side of the new mcb.

best wishes, your electrically, ladaman348

(how far away is the fuse box presently located?)

nb if you do break into shower cable use good quality 40amp plus connector box and make careful sound, hermetic connections...

mephistico
Apprentice
Apprentice

by mephistico » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:56 pm

A shower circuit is to be an individual circuit. I thinks it's list in Guidance Note 1 of the regs (selection and erection).
It's not good practice to do otherwise.

sparkydude
Apprentice
Apprentice

by sparkydude » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:18 pm

Ignore ladaman he is not thinking straight, no using 40A connectors on any of my jobs. The only conceivable way you could do it is to use the feed to the existing shower to feed a small consumer unit and then fuse down from that to feed your socketsv etc and the shower also. Just make sure the fuse is marked appropriateley as to its use at the fuse box end.

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:11 pm