Using Solid Oak Kitchen Worktop for Stair Treads
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
stuwegie
Labourer
Labourer

Using Solid Oak Kitchen Worktop for Stair Treads

by stuwegie » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:08 pm

Hi. Im new to the forum but i have had a look and can't seem to find any posts relating to my query.
Im about to rip out my old staircase, its a u-shape with 5 steps leading up to a half landing then 6 more steps up to the first floor. Ive decided to go with an open plan stair and will be using 10mm flat steel as the stringers. Angle iron will be bolted on to this and the treads attached from underneath similar to the picture attached.
My question relates to the stair treads. Im looking to use some nice Oak for the treads as i have oak flooring throughout my property and I'm wondering if solid oak kitchen worktop would be suitable to use as a stair tread? I have the necessary tools to profile the edges etc, I'm just wondering what the structural integrity would be like using this wood?
Attachments
industrial-staircase.jpg

snooch
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Using Solid Oak Kitchen Worktop for Stair Treads

by snooch » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:30 pm

Hi there - just came across this and just in case you still need help, thought I'd respond.

The safest way to proceed would be to incorporate a steel plate to the treads that the oak worktop treads could be laid on top of. If you are based in the UK, you need to meet Building Regulations when replacing any element of a building and this requires no opening larger than 100mm anywhere on the stair. The steel plate could incorporate a small downstand to the nosing ensure your stair is safe - I use this detail a lot.

If you only want a floating timber tread though - & will get round teh 100mm opening rule by other means (e.g. a tensile wire at each riser) - I would strongly advise ordering a 40mm section that has been formed from 2 layers of 20mm timbers that have been offset. Sites such as Lignau Shop are great for these and I have used them for stair treads in the past.

http://www.lignaushop.com/en/shop/stair ... unfinished

Many oak worktops are formed from single layers of block and just will not hold up to the large tensile forces of a stair tread, if unsupported.

Hope this helps, and Good Luck!

P.S. Open treads stairs are steadily being outlawed in the UK, as the PC police attempt to make every last home accessible for every kind of mobility - so I would build it quick before the next iteration of regs bans them!!!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:01 am