Vent Pipe Insulation
Information, help, tips and advice on cavity walls, ceilings and lofts etc....

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Diy3r
Apprentice
Apprentice

Vent Pipe Insulation

by Diy3r » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:33 pm

Hi all, recent first time buyer with little DIY experience but keen to learn from experts like yourselves. My question is, I have insulated the loft, and as much pipework as I can, house is a timber framed detached. The previous owners did not put pipe insulation / lagging on the final run of the two vent pipes up in the loft (one hooks over the top of the cold water tank, one hooks over the smaller expansion tank). The final foot or so just as the pipes go up and then hook down into the tanks is unisulated / unlagged, should this be left as it is, or is it OK to insulate the pipes as they loop into each tank? Also because of the height of the pipes there is loft insulation going under the pipes and 100ml laid on top of the lagged pipes, is this enough or should I put more on loft insulation top of the lagged pipes. I am conscious about pipes freezing and breaking in winter, and with a little one on the way I want to do everything I can to minimize the risk. Thank you in advance

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

insulation

by welsh brickie » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:34 pm

Lay as much insulation as you want just keep it away from the eaves for airflow,lag everything for piece of mind

Diy3r
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Diy3r » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:49 pm

Hi welsh brickie - thanks so much for the advice, much appreciated

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:04 pm