Ventilation Advice for Warm Loft in Victorian End Terrace
Information, help and tips on many areas of roofing including trusses, tiling, venting, insulation etc....

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Barry_Convex
Labourer
Labourer

Ventilation Advice for Warm Loft in Victorian End Terrace

Post by Barry_Convex » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:54 pm

Hi, I'm renovating a Victorian end terrace and the existing attic room has zero insulation, just lathe and plaster. At least it did - I've already removed it in preparation for insulation with multifoil.

I have a dilemma about how to ventilate the cavity. Yes, it has bituminous underfelt. There is little to no gap at the eaves and no soffits so vents there are out. And the ridge is traditionally mortared (only about 3.5m long).

I'm aware of the recommended dry ridge and eaves ventilation but am wondering if there are alternatives for awkward situations. I have already installed lap vents in the felt and was wondering if there are any vented ridge tiles which can replace a couple of the current ones rather than converting the whole ridge?
Or are vent slates an alternative? A couple near the ridge and a couple low down on either side?
I even have access to the gable wall and could install vent bricks there.

Just looking for options.

Ta

VinnyB
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Ventilation Advice for Warm Loft in Victorian End Terrace

Post by VinnyB » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:03 pm

Hey Barry

Best to speak to your Building Control Officer/ Approved Inspector on this one as they will have to sign it off (assuming that you've appointed one).

Regards
Vinny

michaelscad
Tradesman
Tradesman

Re: Ventilation Advice for Warm Loft in Victorian End Terrace

Post by michaelscad » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:52 pm

don't over do it if you do you could cause more problems black mold could take hold especially in older buildings there's a current trend of
taking cavity wall insulation copmanies to
court for miss selling

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:59 am