ventilation for joists
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
stumeadowcroft
Labourer
Labourer

ventilation for joists

by stumeadowcroft » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:06 pm

hi can you help, as stated i have at the bottom of my external walls steel vents for the joists, as i wish to put a new porch on the front which will make one of the vents inside the porch rather than in the open as it is now, if i build the porch and put this vent inside would it cause any adverse effects to the ventilation of the joists ?

thanks again

stuart

ALDA
Foreman
Foreman

by ALDA » Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:02 pm

Stu,

If you are saying that the floor level will be lower than the air vent, then as long as the air flow through the porch is not restricted then there shouldn't be a problem.

This means either leaving a window open perminently or installing a vent in exterior porch wall or door.

If the floor level is above the air vent then airbricks should be installed in exterior porch wall to provide the contiuation of air flow.

ALDA.

stumeadowcroft
Labourer
Labourer

Alda (your advice)

by stumeadowcroft » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:21 am

[quote="ALDA"]Stu,

If you are saying that the floor level will be lower than the air vent, then as long as the air flow through the porch is not restricted then there shouldn't be a problem.

This means either leaving a window open perminently or installing a vent in exterior porch wall or door.

If the floor level is above the air vent then airbricks should be installed in exterior porch wall to provide the contiuation of air flow.

ALDA.[/quote]

thanks alda, the floor level will be lower, as i am not a builder of any discription could you advise on what type of vent to install ? i was concerned about the joist ventilation due to when the house is survayed when it goes up for sale, i didnt want any problems which could hinder the report of the house and put off any potentional buyers

thanks again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ALDA
Foreman
Foreman

by ALDA » Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:28 pm

Stu,

Airbricks through wall (recommended).

Louvered window (permanently open).

Louvered door vent (permanently open).

ALDA.

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:44 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 10:38 am