Very Dry Looking Wood?
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Rivergirl
Apprentice
Apprentice

Very Dry Looking Wood?

by Rivergirl » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:38 pm

The paint on one of the window cills on my garage has almost all peeled off. I think the problem may be due to this window facing the sun, the wood looks very dry but not rotten underneath, the window does not let water in and I would like to know would it be OK to just repaint this wooden cill or do I need to treat the wood in some way first? Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. :?

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:29 pm

No you do not have to treat the timber in any way if it is dry and appears sound. just give it and the paint a good rub down, being sure to remove all loose and flaking paint.

primer, undercoat and topcoat using a good quality paint system should do you. the peeling paint is almost certainly a result of the warmth and UV from the sun, not from damp or associated causes.

Rivergirl
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Rivergirl » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:03 pm

chris_on_tour2002 wrote:No you do not have to treat the timber in any way if it is dry and appears sound. just give it and the paint a good rub down, being sure to remove all loose and flaking paint.

primer, undercoat and topcoat using a good quality paint system should do you. the peeling paint is almost certainly a result of the warmth and UV from the sun, not from damp or associated causes.

Thanks for your reply, I have got some time off work comming up and I will have a go at this then :D

DenisBarger
Labourer
Labourer

Aint no quick way

by DenisBarger » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:58 pm

Aint no quick way-- Unless you saw them up & make a kiln. Wood air
dries at about 1" a year. Remove the bark--Paint the ends immediately
after cutting-- there are commercial waxes available for this ( ck out
alt.woodturning) I've always used gloss oil based paint. I've had
pretty good luck air drying in the shop after I sawed the boards to
1.5"-- You did not mention what kind of wood nor what you are going to
use it for. Aeromatic Cedar won't need much drying time, but it will
split like crazy if you leave it in the sun
Good luck

foz1234
Labourer
Labourer

by foz1234 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:19 am

I would scrape the loose paint off, then hand sand (120-150 grit sandpaper) the rest of the paint and window frame (being careful not to sand/scratch the glass. After the sanding, clean the dust off, then paint the window with a quality primer. Wait 24 hours and then paint your windows with a finish coat of quality paint. If you can find it, some paint store have a UV additive that you stir into the finish coat paint. It will protect the finish from the sunlight for a number of years.

Rivergirl
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Rivergirl » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:33 pm

Thanks for the advice given by you all. I sanded the cill down, painted with primer and then used a gloss top coat for outdoors. I did this in April and it looks great and appears to be lasting. Thanks once again for all your advice. :D

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:39 am