Wall light
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
lights
Labourer
Labourer

Wall light

Post by lights » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:23 pm

Wall lights not working um?? I have four wall lights all controlled by one switch. I have just fitted four light fittings.
One had just three wires coming from the wall. So here goes dont laugh I conected earth to earth blue to blue red to red in the junction box that was provived - did not work. Continued with the others that all had 6 wires coming from the wall 2 of each so conected the 2 earths to the one earth of the fitting, two blues to blue 2 reds to red. Nothing works. Have I done something really wrong? I live in a new house so there was nothing there before to copy the builders just left the wires in a circular box thing ( very tech term) :oops: Plese help

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:19 pm

Hi, did you look in switch box?
what you have done seems OK but there is no way the leckie would have connected lights up without fittings on wall.
Expect to find a Brown wire coiled up in back of sw. box waiting to go to L1 of double sw. there should already be a link between commons of switches. There may also be a blue N connector block in sw. box for your wall light blue to go into if not done already.
If not like this come back with what you do have at sw. itmay need connecting at ceiling rose instead of sw. several possible ways of wiring circuit
regards SPARX

lights
Labourer
Labourer

Post by lights » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:23 pm

Thanks will take a look at the switch. The switch is a double. One side controlling the two ceiling roses the other controls the wall lights. Will get back to you with what I find

lights
Labourer
Labourer

Post by lights » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:53 am

Everything is normal in the switch box. Earth is conected to earthing point. 4 blues are in a seperate conector. the four browns are conected one each to L1 L2 at the top and L1 L2 at the bottem. There is a link wire brown between L1 and L1. My two ceiling lights work fine at the moment they are just a bulb hanging from a rose at the moment, thats next weeks project to change them! Any more ideas?

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:13 pm

One thing to check, take the wire out of L2 on the sw. that should work wall lights & ensure it has been stripped back & not just pushed in term.
try touching it on other terms on sws. put it back in L2, turn off power & check connections in N term block. If still no go recheck connections on wall lights as they loop from one to another , the last one on the circuit having only 1 cable, still no go, Get help!
regards SPARX

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:47 pm