WALL MOUNT TV CABLES
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
TONYTONE
Tradesman
Tradesman

WALL MOUNT TV CABLES

by TONYTONE » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:17 pm

Hi guys,

My plan at the moment is to mount my tv over my now redundant fire place. With repsect to cables I have run a channel up the side of the chimney breast and across the side and front to behind my new tv.

My plan is to then flush fit plastic trunking in the channel and then wallpaper over the top.

After that I am going to use a razor blade to cut the wallpaper so that the capping can be removed to allow me to mess about with any cables. 8)

The wallpaper I am having is quite detailed so for how often I am going to need to remove the capping the line I have cut shouldn't show up.

From a safety point of view I will run a piece of galv across the inside of the capping so any future idiots can't put nails through it.

What do you guys think of my cunning plan?

ericmark

by ericmark » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:03 pm

Dear Baldrick,
Your cunning plan has a slight problem in that Band I and Band II cables should not really be mixed mainly because the mains feed cable could interfere with the communication cables reducing signal quality. I would suggest metal trunking with a metal divider although it would depend on the length of the run and for a very short run there would likely be no problem. If the plate was to make it comply with 522.6.6 it would need to be to BS EN 50085 which if earthed propriety trunking may comply but not any home made system. Although personally I would not worry anyone who can’t tell the difference between solid wall and trunking lid must be a bit daft and are just as likely to knock a nail in the metal lid as a plastic lid.

Most likely your plan will work A1 and there is no need to modify if we are talking about a few feet but I don’t know the distance involved so I am assuming worse case scenario I also considered the problem with cables connected to back of new TV and found if I moved the tops of the cupboards either side of original TV furniture the new TV would just fit so abandoned the idea of wall mounting plus the wall is the dividing wall to next door and it was likely that the sound would travel to next door if mounted on that wall.

All best Eric

TONYTONE
Tradesman
Tradesman

by TONYTONE » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:51 pm

Cheers Eric,

That info will indeed be useful in my master plan. The total length will be 2f up the side of the chimney breast, 1,5f across and 2f across the front. I'll have a look at metal trunking and see if I can swap. As for separating the cables. Thats a good point you've got. I'll have to figure out a divider or somthing. I work in ductwork so I'm getting some accoustic insualation which I may use to line the soon to be redundant chimney.

Thanks again for the info.

Baldrick :lol:

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:14 am