Wall sockets
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Dapps
Labourer
Labourer

Wall sockets

by Dapps » Fri May 06, 2011 11:23 am

Hi,

Im just trying to replace my old 60's sockets, and the replacement MK ones i got need to have both earth terminals wired in for it to work.

Can i split the existing earth cable down i.e 1 wire to one earth 2 to the other? or can i run a new bit of earth wire beteween both earths with the main earth wire connected into one of those earth points as well?

Cheers Dapps

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Fri May 06, 2011 8:21 pm

That does not sound right. Some sockets for high leakage do have two earth terminals but where the leakage is not high then you can just use either one.

Big problem when changing a socket is any lose or disconnected earth can easy be missed as socket will still work.

So after fitting you should measure the earth loop impedance to ensure a good connection.

At £75 to even hire the meters unlikely any DIY guy will bother. This is a problem as if your the last to work on them even if you did not produce the fault if any one is injured it will be your fault unless you can produce the paperwork showing your test results.

OK we all hope nothing will go wrong. However really no test gear should mean you don't do work.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:23 pm