Water dripping from newish flat roof
Information, help and tips on many areas of roofing including trusses, tiling, venting, insulation etc....

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jinty
Labourer
Labourer

by jinty » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:38 pm

Hello
I had a flat roof renewed with rubber (from felt) 3 years ago, and it started to leak through to the room below, quite substantially.
There was no flashing put to the wall adjoining the flat roof and after calling the builder who did the roof, he painted some sealant about 6'' up from the roof saying he thought it was getting in there, not that the roof has failed. It is still leaking and the ceiling below has now collapsed, he now says maybe its the render on the south facing wall (above the flat roof) that has failed..and he will paint something on that but doesn't come to do it.
Is there something I can 'paint' on it to stop it as I am worried the boards underneath are going to go rotten.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:48 pm

jinty,
There should be a flashing along the length where the flat roof abuts the wall and the flat roof material should be taken up under the flashing.
end

jinty
Labourer
Labourer

by jinty » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:40 pm

there isnt any flashing, he just came back and painted some sealant on first few inches up from flat roof.. and doesnt look like he's coming back to do any more. So is this something that I will need to do to stop the leak?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:36 pm

jinty,
If the roof is sound and an upstand has been formed where the flat abuts the wall then yes you should get a flashing fitted. This needs to be cut into the wall by at least 25mm.
If there is no upstand then one needs forming with the bottom of the upstand bonded to the flat roof.
end

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Perry525 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:21 pm

If you havn't already got one, buy a SDS drill or angle grinder. Use it to channel out the wall, cut away about an inch or so of mortar along the upturn, tuck a lead flashing into the gap, hold in place with lead wedges fold it down over the upstand and repoint.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:40 am