Water Hammer Problem and Installing Pressure Reducing Valve

Postby richard368 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:30 am

Hi
I have a water hammer problem and have been advised to install a pressure reducing valve at source, but would I get the same effect by simply turning down the main stop tap ? I have tried this but to eliminate the hammer but the pressure drops to a unusable condition,
Is the PRV just a measurable device for turning down the pressure or am I missing something ? my point is, what is the difference between installing a PRV and simply turning down the main stop tap ?
Thanks
Richard
richard368
Progress to next rank:
25%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby lets have a look » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:42 pm

None, water hammer usually comes from a ballvalve in the tank in the loft or a wc cistern
lets have a look
Progress to next rank:
4.3%

Postby richard368 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:41 pm

Thing is I'm on mains water, no tank, and I get hammer from the kitchen and bathroom taps as well as the toilet cistern ?
richard368
Progress to next rank:
25%

Postby lets have a look » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:18 pm

Then change the inlet valve ( ballvalve) to the wc cistern and see if you have cured it
lets have a look
Progress to next rank:
4.3%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!