Water radiators from an immersion hot water system???
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
StrangerUK
Apprentice
Apprentice

Water radiators from an immersion hot water system???

by StrangerUK » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:13 pm

Hello all

I have a flat with electric only, no gas. Hot water is from an immersion tank. I have no heating, so using oil-filled electric heaters.

I know little about DIY so here's my daft question - can I not have traditional water radiators running off my hot water system? Water radiators in my opinion gives off a nicer radiant heat, which is much better than these plug-in rubbish that I got. Can not the hot water pipe supplying my sink in the kitchen be extended into my lounge to feed a water radiator? I know that it probably would use most of the stored hot water in the immersion tank, but at least I'd have heat and the tank would heat up again in about an hour. Is it possible, and is there a company out there that can do it for me?

Thanks in advance,
Mark

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:01 pm

You can get electric combination boiler, that will heat radiators and hot water, but I think they're quite expensive.

You could not pipe up radiators using the hot water from your tank, as there is no circulation, the water would only flow if the taps were opened. So your radiator would be warm, when filling a the sink, maybe 5 minutes a day ?

plus the water would discolour eventually as the radiators get older

StrangerUK
Apprentice
Apprentice

by StrangerUK » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:19 am

Ah well, worth a try. Perhaps I'll get a couple of more years out of the immersion heater, and then consider swapping to one of those combi boilers you mentioned.
Thanks for replying :)

The Heating Doctor
Foreman
Foreman

by The Heating Doctor » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:49 pm

Current cost of an electric boiler with a cylinder ie combi is around £1000 + vat. I think it has a 9Kw out put for radiators. Sold a few but I would not like the electricity bill to run one.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1