Waterfall Tap in Bathroom Leaking From Underside of Spout
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

10 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Ronin1512
Labourer
Labourer

Waterfall Tap in Bathroom Leaking From Underside of Spout

by Ronin1512 » Tue May 30, 2017 10:17 am

Hi, I have a waterfall tap installed in my bathroom that has been fine for the past 2 years since being fitted. Water has started dropping from 2 screws in the underside of the spout and spilling into the floor.

I've tried tightening them up but they just drop back. Please can someone advise how to fix this?

Thanks

DIYnovice77
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Waterfall Tap in Bathroom Leaking From Underside of Spout

by DIYnovice77 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:41 am

Did you find a solution to this? I am having the same problem.

gnuts
Labourer
Labourer

by gnuts » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:57 pm

Hi, this is a lat reply but I came across this post on Google as I had the same problem and this was the only related post/help I could find online... so there wasn't any (help that is).

One of the screws below the tap spout starting spurting water, which was the first time I'd realised there were screws under there as these taps were in the house when we moved in.

I had some limescale remover so I decided to remove both screws, soak them for 30min to clean them up and also clean the holes they came from to put them back in. No luck, the two screws would not go back in. I searched Google and this was all I found so I hope this helps someone else.

I pulled the top plate off the tap spout which was easy enough as I assumed it would now the screws were out. To my surprise it was full of metal piece, like really full!

I thought this may of been some kind of metal build up from the water, but I further inspection it was the underside of the plate which had corroded away. The screws could not tighten back up as they were just crunching through corroded metal.

So, I'm not left with a tap which works but no top plate. The two screws had washers on so i've dropped them back in he hole from the top to cover the holes for now... works fine like that, but unbeleivably it needs a new tap!
Attachments
Waterfall tap, top plate removed
Waterfall tap, top plate removed
Watefall tap, underneath the top plate
Watefall tap, underneath the top plate

DIYnovice77
Labourer
Labourer

by DIYnovice77 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:17 pm

Update:
I spoke to a plumber who told me that it looked like the screw had worn and broken. He said that the only option he could recommend was trying to use arodite glue to stick in the screw, otherwise I’d need to replace the tap. I tried the glue and surprisingly it has worked, so far so good. I still plan on replacing the taps eventually.

Gizasmum
Labourer
Labourer

by Gizasmum » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:23 pm

I know this is a late response, but I’m just posting to help anyone who has the same bother. I thought that I would be facing the hefty cost of replacing the tap (it’s less than 3 years old), so I searched for a solution and found Gnuts post.

My screws fell out too, but I couldn’t figure out how to get the top plate off without damaging it. Finally I was able to lever it up a bit and get some of the crud out, but needed to clear it all out completely. I used a bit more force so that the plate was released a bit more, not totally detached but opened up enough to get the access required. I used an old toothbrush to rub away most of the corroded material, then dried it. I then applied Quick Steel epoxy putty (cost a fiver from Amazon) inside the tap on top of where the screw holes. I used this to cover over the corroded area that was left. I made the epoxy as smooth and as flat as I could so that it wouldn’t interfere with the flow of water. I then applied the epoxy to the outside of the tap beneath the screw holes and smoothed it so it couldn’t be seen.

I’ve left the plate in place meantime. However, since it’s semi-detached, sometimes water is leaking out of it. I’ve left it that way just so that I can check on the corrosion. If my solution has worked then I shall use clear silicone sealant or glue to secure the plate and seal it.

LanceG
Labourer
Labourer

by LanceG » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:53 am

2 links that could possibly be helpful temporarily..

Temporarily
https://youtu.be/LkjSgsL4Zng

More permanent?
https://youtu.be/KU2qph2vG9Y

Going to try the 2nd one I think...

Gizasmum
Labourer
Labourer

by Gizasmum » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:31 pm

After more than 7 months my rock hard epoxy putty repair is still as good as new.

cbk
Labourer
Labourer

by cbk » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:15 pm

I have the exact same problems.
When I informed the manufacturer (kartell uk) about it they won't honour the warranty and basically said its my fault for taking the screws out.

So much for lifetime garantee.
see pictures below.

I will probably glue couple of plastic caps in the holes to stop the water from dripping.
Attachments
tap1.gif
tap2.gif

Gizasmum
Labourer
Labourer

by Gizasmum » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:11 am

15 Months on from my repair with the Quicksilver epoxy resin I’m pleased to say that it is still holding fast.

Gizasmum
Labourer
Labourer

by Gizasmum » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:15 am

Sorry, meant Quick Steel epoxy.

10 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:07 pm