WC Pan to Cast-Iron Spigot

Postby banquo » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:14 am

I know this has been covered on here before, but I can't find an answer specific to this. I have an old, very old WC, which has a P-trap directly fitted into the spigot of a cast-iron waste. There's an exterior 4" cast-iron pipe, and an angled tee comes through the wall, with a flared spigot on the end. The WC pan fits directly into this socket, and appears to be'sealed' with hemp and plumber's mate compound. I want to (need to!) replace the toilet, and I'm intending to use one of the adapters with the ribbed rubber insert, to fit inside the spigot.
The question is, how do I know what size of adapter I will need, before taking the old toilet out. Is the adapter supposed to fit inside the flared end of the existing spigot, or am I supposed to cut that spigot off, and fit the adapter into the 4" pipe?
We only have one WC in the property, so I need to have everything prepared beforehand. Once the old pan comes out, it looks like it will fall to bits, so can't go back in again, even temporarily...
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:40 pm


Simply Build It

Postby stoneyboy » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:38 pm

You can either:
Cut off the spigot and use a rubber sleeve adaptor which will fit over the CI pipe and onto 100mm plastic pipe. Then use a pan adaptor to connect from the pan and into the plastic pipe - you will probably need one with an offset outlet.
Or if you can find one there are rubber seals on the market which will fit into the socket to reduce the size to 100mm plastic and then use a pan adaptor as above.
Posts: 2708
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:44 pm

Postby Steve the gas » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:21 pm


A standard pan connector should fit and seal, check with the merchant
Steve the gas
Posts: 780
Joined: Sun May 04, 2008 7:07 am

Postby banquo » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:12 pm

Thanks folks; I'll give it a go... :wink:
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:40 pm

Postby TheDoctor5 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:25 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!
Site Admin
Posts: 1384
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:17 am

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by


  • Related Topics