All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
claireclaxton
Labourer
Labourer

Weird Yeasty Smell in Hallway

by claireclaxton » Wed May 09, 2007 1:24 pm

Hello all

I am having some trouble locating the source of a really strange smell in the right hand side of my house.

I'm not sure if it is a plumbing issue so apologies if this is posted in the wrong place but it seemed a good place to start!!!

The smell is a kind of yeasty smell - when it's at it's strongest, it smells a bit like over fermented beer! It starts in my hallway, goes up my stairs and smells in my little boys bedroom.

There is no damp (that I can see), no mouldy foods or drinks in my little boy's room, nothing spilled on carpets and it doesn't appear to be coming from my downstairs toilet.

It's absolutely awful. I have given that side of my house a good clean but to no avail.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be and how I can get rid of it? It's costing me a fortune in air freshners!!!

Thanks

Claire

peter the plumber
Ganger
Ganger

by peter the plumber » Thu May 10, 2007 1:19 am

You need to get someone in with a damp meter to make sure there no damp.

How old is the house?

claireclaxton
Labourer
Labourer

by claireclaxton » Thu May 10, 2007 9:30 am

Thanks for your speedy reply.

The house is quite old although how old I'm not sure. It was built about the 1950s I think.

We are mid-terrace as well and my neighbours say they do not have any damp.

Thanks, again, for all your help.

anothernovice
Labourer
Labourer

by anothernovice » Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:31 pm

Hullo Claire, just wanted to say that your description made me smile for the first time in weeks (I logged on to find help about a new boiler I had fitted and saw your question as I was moving throught the site). I particularly liked the part where you said you had cleaned THAT SIDE of your house. I know what you mean - but it sounded very much like My Sort Of Housework....leave the other half for anothe day!! Hope the odour disappears soon. Horrible when things like that happen. Good luck. :lol:

Ron Gallagher
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Weird Yeasty Smell in Hallway

by Ron Gallagher » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:35 pm

[quote="claireclaxton"]Hello all

I am having some trouble locating the source of a really strange smell in the right hand side of my house.

I'm not sure if it is a plumbing issue so apologies if this is posted in the wrong place but it seemed a good place to start!!!

The smell is a kind of yeasty smell - when it's at it's strongest, it smells a bit like over fermented beer! It starts in my hallway, goes up my stairs and smells in my little boys bedroom.

There is no damp (that I can see), no mouldy foods or drinks in my little boy's room, nothing spilled on carpets and it doesn't appear to be coming from my downstairs toilet.

It's absolutely awful. I have given that side of my house a good clean but to no avail.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be and how I can get rid of it? It's costing me a fortune in air freshners!!!

Thanks

Claire[/quote]

This might be a long shot but try your light fittings on the ceiling, they may be old and need replacing, the longer the lights are left on the worse the smell, my own smelt like fish.

Ron[/quote]

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:04 pm