wet skirting, damp walls
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
lobatt
Labourer
Labourer

wet skirting, damp walls

Post by lobatt » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:20 pm

Hi all, been having problems with a west facing rendered wall on a 1920's brick built semi.
For a couple of years or more, I have been getting mould and damp at low level in a first floor bedroom, we had the roof re-tiled with slate like tiles as the existing roof had just about had it, this was about 4 years ago, we noticed sometime afterwards condensation at certain times of the year in the roof space above the affected bedroom (beading all over the felt lining) as a result about 3-4 months ago I had roof vents fitted, this solved the problem of the condensation in the loft (at the time we thought the condensation and the damp were related), but the damp is still present in the bedroom. It is that bad, water forms on the top edge of the skirting, the wall paper is coming off the wall up to about 18 inches high, there is mould and the electrical sockets are wet and I mean dripping, with the back boxes now going rusty, it hasn't as yet affected any internal walls.
The rendering looks intact and the brick work on the other external wall to the bedroom (north facing) looks OK.

Any ideas? thanks in advance all

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:02 pm

lobatt,
Suggest you try coating the render with silicone waterproofing liquid - you will need two coats.
end

lobatt
Labourer
Labourer

Post by lobatt » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:56 pm

Thanks stoneyboy, Can the damp come through painted rendering? I painted it a couple of years ago and coated with a stabliser first.

I have just fitted a airbrick to one of the affected walls, was wondering wether to fit another to the other offending wall (The rendered one). :?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:07 pm

lobatt
The fact that you are not experiencing moisture forming on the north wall would indicate that this is not condensation and the west wall is allowing moisture through. Have a look at the painted surface and see if it has hairline cracks in it.
end

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:29 am