What can Cause a Computer to Freeze?
Help and advice on software, hardware, configuration and general computing issues and problems

10 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
greengrass
Foreman
Foreman

What can Cause a Computer to Freeze?

Post by greengrass » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:10 am

What causes a freeze up on my computer, working away and suddenly curser freezes and nothing works have to do a reboot each time. Did it first time to get in to diy doc.
Also starting internet It starts with circulating icon then it stops, I wait a minute nothing happens so click again on the e icon same thing happens when eventually it does start I end up with six Google pages.
Thanks

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: What can Cause a Computer to Freeze?

Post by stoneyboy » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:32 pm

Hi greengrass ,
That is one hell of an open-ended question and you will have to work through many options to isolate the problem.
If you are using windows 10 it will download updates (supposedly in the background) but I find the computer can become unresponsive while this is happening. A slow internet connection will make things even worse.
What is your broadband speed?
Regards,
stoneyboy

greengrass
Foreman
Foreman

Post by greengrass » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:04 pm

[quote="stoneyboy"]Hi greengrass ,
That is one hell of an open-ended question and you will have to work through many options to isolate the problem.
If you are using windows 10 it will download updates (supposedly in the background) but I find the computer can become unresponsive while this is happening. A slow internet connection will make things even worse.
What is your broadband speed?
Regards,
stoneyboy[/quote]
Hi Stoneboy Greengrass back should have put in the operating system didn't think at the time.

Yep it windows 7 haven a clue about B.B speed my son got that and he's not here, away working, have to wait for his arrival. Most likely as you say the net could also be some of the crap on the computer will have to start a clean up.
Thanks for response and the one you gave on the Tarmac driveway will get a few estimates for the damaged area as the rest is ok its just the first bit where the trees are one other side of the fence on left in pic.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:46 am

Hi greengrass,
Search 'broadband speed' and use one of the testers to see what your speed is.
if this is say 10mb download speed then you will have to start looking at sysconfig to see what you have running in the background.
Regards, stoneyboy

BarryWils0n
Labourer
Labourer

Post by BarryWils0n » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:13 am

Freezing is usually caused by overheating of the hardware (CPU/RAM or HDD)
Try to ensure that all your coolers work properly and they don't stacked in dust or powder. Perform any temperature measurement and compare them with the stable one.

Dr. Strange
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post by Dr. Strange » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:54 am

Dust can cause computer lockups, most definatly. All that extra heat is not good for the system.

Kanro
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Kanro » Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:45 pm

The most common reasons why a computer would freeze are overheating, driver corruption, software error or viruses. Since I don't know a lot about the laptop, I can't tell you the exact reason. Would it be possible for you to give the specifications of the laptop, like the RAM, the memory etc? If your laptop is old, it could be because of the outdated specs

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by ericmark » Fri May 15, 2020 8:42 pm

Since the post is over a year old, likely now cured.

Vanwin
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Vanwin » Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:27 pm

Very often just too many other windows open.
Find Task Manager, you may be surprised how many other processes are using up your memory by default, un-neccesarily.
Buying extra memory modules makes a big difference.

Pecksniff
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Pecksniff » Wed May 12, 2021 10:32 pm

Posting spam is not allowed.

10 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:52 pm