What Could be Causing Bubbling Plaster in Flat?
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Knotty
Labourer
Labourer

What Could be Causing Bubbling Plaster in Flat?

by Knotty » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:12 pm

IMG_0625.JPG
IMG_0625.JPG (18.36 KiB) Viewed 2496 times
The paint in the hall of my flat keeps peeling off and bubbling. I have attached an image. The wall is a breeze block construction. Bathroom is on the other side. When I moved in the issue existed and I assumed it was coming from bathroom so had bathroom re tiled. No damp appears to be coming down wall and it is a top floor flat. I actually have no idea what to do or how to remedy it. Any help/ suggestions gratefully appreciated
Attachments
IMG_0629.jpg
IMG_0629.jpg (22.66 KiB) Viewed 2496 times

VinnyB
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: What Could be Causing Bubbling Plaster in Flat?

by VinnyB » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:01 pm

Hey Knotty

Im assuming that its a solid block wall.

If its not linked to the bathroom then the tide mark with the salt staining can only be rising damp. The warm air in the corridor draws the moisture up the wall and it then evaporates at a certain point and leaves the tide mark.

If this is an internal wall then it looks like the damp proof membrane or damp proof course has failed.

Only thing you can do is install and injectable damp proof course but your just going to push the water staining down to the level below the new damp proof course.

Unfortunately this defect has arisen out of poor workmanship and cant be properly corrected unless you take the wall down and rebuild it (not worth it).

Hope this helps

Vinny

Knotty
Labourer
Labourer

by Knotty » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:31 pm

Vinny
thanks for the response. It is an internal wall. Bathroom is on the other side but when I bought the flat the issue already existed. I assumed it was poor tiling so had the bathroom re tile. Unless my tiler was also rubbish it has to be coming from somewhere else. Could rising damp come up 3 floors?

VinnyB
Apprentice
Apprentice

by VinnyB » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:18 pm

Sorry, if this was a ground floor wall then most likely rising damp.

Third floor is going to be pipe related. How long ago did you get it re-tiled?

If it comes back then id pull the bath/shower out and check the pipework.

Doubt its the tiles but check the silicon at the joint of the bath/shower as this is usually a weak point which shrinks over time. Can you send some pictures of the bathroom so that you show me the place on the other side of the wall?

raju
Labourer
Labourer

by raju » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:10 am

Hi,

That could be due to chemical damp i.e the salts that are part of plaster could over period of time attract moisture and cause damp if you can see anything obvious.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:39 pm