What is regularised timber?

Postby liamuk » Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:40 pm

I want to replace the side frame for garage doors and it was suggested to use regularised timber. What is this? and what is the best treatment for the part of the frame that goes into the concrete floor?
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:54 am


Simply Build It

Postby Oddbod » Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:21 pm

Hi. Usually it just means that it has been dried and planed to size. Chances are that the original was made with standard sized timber, so replacing it with the same size stuff just makes life easier. I have heard it used as shorthand for stress graded timber, but I doubt a garage door frame would need that.

I'd just slap on as many coats of wood preservative as I've got time for, or even leave the post standing in a tin of the stuff. (Note preservative is NOT the same as those tubs of fence panel treatment!). I'd probably then just set it in concrete which I'd finish with a slight slope to ensure the water doesn't pool around the base of the frame. If I wanted to go the whole hog I'd run and then smooth over some exterior silicone or similar around the join between the wood and set concrete to provide a watertight seal.

Having said all that, are you sure the frame is set into the concrete? If it really is just a frame, as opposed to a bit of the garage structure, It shouldn't normally need to be.
Posts: 104
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:50 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by


  • Related Topics