What to use to Finish and Seal Sanded Loo Seat?
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
bravenewmalden
Labourer
Labourer

What to use to Finish and Seal Sanded Loo Seat?

by bravenewmalden » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:19 pm

Hello. First visit to DIY Doc. Hope someone here can offer advice.

I want to re-varnish a wooden toilet seat. I sanded it down then bought some Ronseal waterproof varnish. Just as a precaution I rang Ronseal's helpline to make sure I had the right product. They said that not only was the product I'd bought unsuitable for the job, (no toilet pun intended), but Ronseal didn't produce a suitable product at all. Something to do with the corrosive effects of urine. How dare they!

Anyway, what would you recommend? Things to bear in mind: 1) I'm an average Joe, not a DIY expert and 2) just to back up point 1, I can't remove the seat. Its screws are totally inaccessible. (The whole assembly was imported from Italy by my home's previous owner, the cad. This is why I can't pursue the easier option of just buying a new one!)

Any advice you can give will be much appreciated.

thedoctor

Re: What to use to Finish and Seal Sanded Loo Seat?

by thedoctor » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:35 pm

Hi

Unfortunately, we have never tried to do this before so not 100% sure on the exact product to use. However, one that is worth considering is the marine quality Yacht Varnish from Everbuild. Although the is primarily for external use it is extremely hardwearing so may be up to the job.

After a little investigation and chat to the Everbuild technical team, they commented that they could not confirm that it is suitable as have obviously never tested it in this manner before but it should provide the required protection. One draw back is that it does give off quite an aroma that may take some time to wear off, but it may be worth a go.

We do also stock it in our store: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/DIY-superst ... 750ml.html

Hope this helps!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:54 am