What Would a Waste Style Pipe in Victorian Sitting Room Cavity be?
Drainage pipes, concrete, footings and foundations. Post your questions and find answers here

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ColletteT
Labourer
Labourer

What Would a Waste Style Pipe in Victorian Sitting Room Cavity be?

by ColletteT » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:38 pm

We have a suspended wooden floor in our Victorian house and the ground beneath in one corner is rather damp. We have discovered what looks like a very old kind of toilet waste pipe on the outside that is open ended where it goes into the wall cavity. The pipe leads from the house out to the road.It is totally bizarre! We are wondering if it was meant to carry condensation or water from the cavity to a drain or something. The pipe appears to have been there a very very long time, but why? The room was always meant to be a sitting room. The houses didn't originally have a bathroom. I wonder if the builders originally thought damp would be an issue and put the pipe there to help damp or something.

Anyone come across this sort of thing before?

lets have a look
Foreman
Foreman

Re: What Would a Waste Style Pipe in Victorian Sitting Room Cavity be?

by lets have a look » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:09 pm

I have one in my house,it is open ended under a suspended wooden floor in the living room, then is buried under the concreted kitchen floor and goes through the cavity wall where it ends and has a vent guard fitted outside, it is a ventilation pipe and came in handy to run through internet cables,gaspipe and put a drain point outside from the central heating.
Be careful rodents don't use it.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:35 pm