Advice and information on tiling and fixing tiles to a variety of surfaces

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
manni
Labourer
Labourer

Where to start on the wall

by manni » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:39 pm

Hi everyone,

i am about to tile my bathroom wall and i have read the guide on how to tile in the projects area.

but my friend who tiles for a living says its best to start in the middle of the wall rather than stated in the project which says in the corner.

If i start in the middle then i get a mirror tile size finish all round the edge of the wall with the tiles all being the same size rather than starting in the corner on one side and having half sizes tiles only on one size where i finish.

Can any throw any light on what i should do?

cheers manni

DUDE DIY
Ganger
Ganger

by DUDE DIY » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:06 pm

Theres bound to different opinions on this subject mate, as to wheres the best place to start when tiling. From my own DIY experiences based on tiling 4 bathrooms, 2 kitchen floors, endless kitchen and bathroom splash backs and showers and 1 hallway floor. With each job Ive probably approached it differently to the last because it depends on the layout of the room and the extent of the area tiled. My best advice would be to use a length or wood and draw onto the wood the width of the tile leaving a space for the tile spacers so it would kind of look like this below

I II II II II II II II II II II II

if you get the idea? Hold this length of wood against all the walls you intend to tile. This will help you spot potential problems with where tiles will start an finish. Pay particular attention to room corners, where you want to avoid thin slithers of tiles as these show up in the final result and can look really odd If theres a window in the room which your tiling up to and around then you should start in a central position. I agree with your mates advice about finding a central point in a wall and starting from there. Hope this helps let me know how you get on mate. Dude diy

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:16 pm