Will a warranty be invalid if I don't have a system flush
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
stuartcarr
Apprentice
Apprentice

Will a warranty be invalid if I don't have a system flush

Post by stuartcarr » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:45 pm

I am about to have a new boiler installed. Only one of the three quotes includes a full system flush. If I choose NOT to have the flush, would the warranty on the new boiler become invalid? I appreciate the benefit of the system flush but the price just seems expensive. Also, if I did have the flush, would I also need a Magnaclean (think that's the name) adaptor installed in the system?

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:32 pm

Ask all the installers, they should all flush the system and add inhibitor. It's ggod practice - and yes not flushing and not adding inhibitor can void warranty.

It's possible the expensive one has priced for a powerflush - unnecessary unless you have sludge issues.

Magnaclan is just a brand name, but yes it is worth fitting a magnaclean or something similar - like spirovent.

htg

stuartcarr
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by stuartcarr » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:49 am

Many thanks HTG, you're correct, the quote was for a power flush. The reason I brought this question to the forum was because one manufacturer misunderstood the question, one said a powerflush was advised and another said it was essential. None of them actually answered the question about the lack of a powerflush invalidating any boiler warranty. Looks like I'm going to have to pay up.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:32 pm

No the lack of powerflushing doesn't invalidate the warranty - like I say powerflushing is very rarely required.

Flushing is as simple as filling and draining system, hot and cold to remove flux etc.

Powerflush - will be expensive - and probably not needed

Flush - should be standard practice.

htg

eggers
Ganger
Ganger

Post by eggers » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:17 pm

depends on the state of the system, all manufacturer's state the system must be clean and recommend a powerflush. If a system is excessively dirty, it won't necessarily invalid the warranty, but it may not be covered under the terms and conditions of the warranty as the warranty covers mechanical failure, but if a component gets clogged up with muck and dirt, it can be considered to be working outside the conditions it was designed for.
i personally always recommend a magnetic filter of some description on the return the boiler

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1