Will concrete dry in the rain?
information and advice on general building topics, builders merchants, problem builders, DIY Stores etc....

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Mark Assimakopoulos
Labourer
Labourer

Will concrete dry in the rain?

by Mark Assimakopoulos » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:42 pm

Sorry this may seem a very stupid question. I have embarked on my first propa DIY task, creating a decking area in the back garden.

Long story short I have dug 3 trenches which will hold the uprights on which to build the frame which will in turn have the decking laid upon.

Today I have positioned all the uprights in the trench's which have been filled with cement mix, and a whole lot of it. It's been raining this evening and it's occurred to me that perhaps I should have this covered.

Can anyone confirm for me if this is a necessity or will it still set ok?

Many thanks

Mark

Cala Sona
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Cala Sona » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:51 am

Concrete sets by chemical action, not by drying out. In fact concrete that dries slowly in damp weather will be stronger than concrete which has dried quickly on a hot day.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

concrete

by welsh brickie » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:56 am

yes it will set ok

Mark Assimakopoulos
Labourer
Labourer

by Mark Assimakopoulos » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:58 pm

Many thanks for your comments, that puts my mind at ease..

Especially as it's been nailing down all day :lol:

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:00 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:07 am