Will Summerhouse Roof Replacement With 18mm OSB Boards Effect Structure

Postby Alvin Wyllie » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:25 am

I need to replace the roof on our 3m x 3m (cheap and nasty but my wife loves it) summerhouse. The original roof, 10mm chipboard, is sagging badly so I want to replace it with 18mm OSB boards. Could the extra weight cause the structure to skew or have other undesired effects? The original roofing consists of six chipboard panels, screwed all round to the walls and trusses. Or should I go for 11mm OSB? Also, would OSB 3 be much better due to the humid conditions of a summerhouse?
Alvin Wyllie
Progress to next rank:
11.5%

Sponsor

DIY asbestos test kits

Postby welsh brickie » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:37 pm

you could use tongue and groove pine instead, its lighter and ideal for that kind of construction
welsh brickie

Postby Alvin Wyllie » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:22 pm

Right, many thanks for that, Mr Brickie. I'll investigate that, or I may just go for 11mm OSB, as a well-known DIY supplier cuts the stuff to size free of charge.
Alvin Wyllie
Progress to next rank:
11.5%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!