Window frames - attaching a curtain track to the PVCu trim
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mickatkinson
Labourer
Labourer

Window frames - attaching a curtain track to the PVCu trim

by mickatkinson » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:50 am

Is this possible? I have window frames with 95mm PVCu trim all round and, rather than screw the curt track brackets into the wall, I am considering screwing them into the PVCu - it seems to be fixed fairly solidly so I think it would be okay - just how do I get a screw into the PVCu? do I drill a hole first? is there a special type of screw? Any advice anybody?

ALDA
Foreman
Foreman

by ALDA » Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:12 pm

TAKE A MOUNTING BRACKET TO A DIY STORE AND

FIND SELF TAPPING SCREWS
OF SUITABLE LENGTH AND DIAMETER TO GO THROUGH HOLE IN BRACKET AND EXTEND FAR ENOUGH THROUGH SO IT CAN BE SCREWED INTO THE UPVC SECURELY.

YOU WILL ALSO NEED A HSS DRILL BIT
OF THE RECOMMENDE SIZE FOR THE SCREW.
(DRILL SIZE ON SCREW PACKAGING) OR ASK STAFF.

POSITION AND DRILL HOLES

SECURE BRACKETS WITH THE SELF TAPPING SCREWS
(THEY CUT THEIR OWN THREAD ON WAY IN)

AND "BOBS YOUR UNCLE"
BRACKETS ARE FITTED JUST FIX YOUR RAIL TO THEM.

allan the locksmith
Tradesman
Tradesman

by allan the locksmith » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:19 pm

I would make sure your screws go through the upvc and into the wall. The trim is usually there to cover up any mess or missing plaster etc from fitting the windows, it could be hollow behind it for all you know.Most of the time it is super glued on with an activator or possibly siliconed on
How heavy are the curtains you wish to hang ? This is the main question you need to ask yourself. Your fixings should be adequate for the weight you wish to hang.

If you mean screwing into the window frames themselves you may need to drill a pilot hole first as some frames do have metal in them and without super sharp piercing upvc screws it may be difficult to get a screw in without the pilot.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:17 pm