wiring a 2 gang one way switch for 2 lights
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
JAYLESH
Labourer
Labourer

wiring a 2 gang one way switch for 2 lights

by JAYLESH » Wed May 30, 2012 5:14 pm

I have 2 lights operating on 1 switch. I want to change the switch to a 2 gang so that the lights can be turned on seperately. The existing switch has a single cable where the neutral wire has brown sleeve over it and there is 1 single red wire and earth.

How do I go about this?....Thanks

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: wiring a 2 gang one way switch for 2 lights

by ericmark » Thu May 31, 2012 12:27 pm

With the power off of course. First job is to inspect ceiling roses and work out which is main lamp and which is slave. At the main light the line wire needs moving from switched line to permanent line. Then at slave lamp move the supply line from lamp to loop. Install a new cable from slave to new switch which will link the permanent line to switched line.

Note both neutral and line are called live. You will need to sleeve wires.

There is an alternative method using wireless switching. There are a number of firms who do wireless switches including with built in dimmer. The wiring if you fit one of these will change with the make you use. Try a google for "EasySwitch - Wall Switch Transmitter" that is one version there are many more. Not used one myself but do be aware some will not work with energy saving bulbs. You can even get a hand held remote.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: wiring a 2 gang one way switch for 2 lights

by kbrownie » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:10 pm

The sleeved wire is not a neutral but a switched live to you fitting.
For you to operate both lights individually using a two gang switch, you need to install a feed to the second light (live, neutral and earth) this can be done by using the existing link between the two lights that is connected to line and neutral on the first fitting.
The line/phase/live conductor will need to be fitted in to the loop live terminal or connector at both fittings, the neutral and earth should be ok as they are at the fitting 1 and terminated at earth for earth and at neutral side of fitting for neutral at the second light.
You will then need to install a switch drop from the second light to the switch point.
The switch drop should be marked up on the blue conductor as live.
At the switch the brown core goes to com and the sleeved blue to L1 at the light fitting the brown goes to live loop and the sleeved blue to live side of fitting and earth to earth terminal.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:01 am