Wiring a new Light Fixture With Brown Live, Blue Neutral and Earth
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Mosley0305
Labourer
Labourer

Wiring a new Light Fixture With Brown Live, Blue Neutral and Earth

Post by Mosley0305 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:44 pm

I am wanting to wire a new light fixture with the live brown, blue neutral and green/yellow earth wires but I have got the wires from the picture in the old light fixture and I have no idea how to wire it up. The wires twisted are how it was pulled out from the previous one. Please help!!

Many thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Wiring a new Light Fixture With Brown Live, Blue Neutral and Earth

Post by Mr White » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:56 pm

As you did not mark any of the cables, its any ones guess as to what does what. You are going to need some one with a multi meter to find out which cable is the supply, which is the switch cable and which is to the next light.

A good handy man can sort it, it doesn't need an electrician.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Wiring a new Light Fixture With Brown Live, Blue Neutral and Earth

Post by kbrownie » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:37 pm

Yes, should have really noted down and marked up cable's original positions.
The problem is we do not know if they where originally terminated as what is the normal process.

I would GUESS, that all the reds are in a loop, they are not directly connected to the new fitting but in a spare/separate connector and terminated together.
Then one would expect the two blacks that are twisted together to be the neutral loop, these would be both terminated at the neutral side of the light fitting. Then you have greens/yellows which should be the CPCs (aka earth). These are terminated together at the earth terminal of the light fitting.
You are then left with a single black core, I would normally expect this to be the switch line, it should be identified though and marked with a red over-sleeve. Then terminated to the live of the fitting.
The above is the normal way that a ceiling rose is wired using two core (red&black) and earth.
It is recommended that you do test the cables to establish what they actually are, also if you are installing metallic or class one fittings, it must be verified that a fault path to earth exists.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:45 pm