Wiring Bathroom Extractor Fan
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
carp30
Labourer
Labourer

Wiring Bathroom Extractor Fan

by carp30 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:55 am

Help please...to fit bathroom in-duct fan located in attic.

I have read wiring diagram on site related to fan operation via pull cord switch but a little unsure.

Am I right doing the following ? The switched positive + neutral connect to positive + negative output side of junction box. Permanent live connect to supply side postive on junction box. Connection between junction box and fan via three pole isolator switch ?

ericmark

by ericmark » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:01 pm

We don’t have positive and negative with an AC supply we have phase or where single phase “line” and “neutral” normally the fan is switched on with the light I do not understand where or why you have pull cord switch? The whole reason for a three pole switch is there are normally to line feeds one switched and one always line and a timer within the fan makes to continue to run for 15 mins after turned off. This diagram http://www.ericpalmer.fsnet.co.uk/Images5/LIGHTS.JPG will give you some idea I hope.
Eric

carp30
Labourer
Labourer

by carp30 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:26 pm

Thanks Eric.....

Pull switch referred to is located in the bathroom to operate lights. I had intended using the junction box serving this switch to operate the fan when lights are switched and put a 3 pole switch between the junction box and the fan itself.

ericmark

by ericmark » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:15 pm

I can't quite work out what the junction box has. As standard the ceiling rose also acts as a junction box. Once one leaves the standard method it is hard to work out what you have. The diagram I directed you to is part of http://www.ericpalmer.fsnet.co.uk/Lighting.html web page maybe whole page will be of more help.
Not all fans need connection to lights some have a humidity control so only a two pole isolator will be required.
I hope that helps Eric

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:28 pm