Wiring for outside lights
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
bristol
Apprentice
Apprentice

Wiring for outside lights

by bristol » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:55 pm

Hi there
First post so be gentle with me!
Our modern house has two external lights - one by the front door, the other by the garage.
The light by the front door is controlled by a switch in the hall, which the previous owner replaced with a central heaing control, simply so he could use the timer.
I have taken this off, and see two cables, each with red live wires, black neutral and yellow/green earth which are fixed in the earth terminal of the box.
I bought a 6AX intermediate switch (maybe wrongly) and wired up per diagrams - each red and black cable in individual holes (L1-L4)
Having done that the outside light is on permanently.
I didn't know at the time, but I beleive that the two sets of wires relate to each outside light, as I noticed the sensor controlled garage light came on at the same time.
Any thoughts please? - have I perhaps bought the wrong lightswitch?
The controller I removed had the 2 neutrals together but the lights tripped when I tried that.

chriscba
Ganger
Ganger

by chriscba » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:10 pm

The 2 lights are proberly wired in series, & you have got the wrong switch, you proberly need a 1 gang, 1 way switch, the 2 blacks most proberly are neutrals, connect into a block, not in to switch, the 2 reds live feed in & feed out, connect one to top connection & other to bottom, green/yellow earth (cpc) connect to metal box, if not, put in own block.

If the light swich is working upsidedown, swap red wires, or just turn switch around.

bristol
Apprentice
Apprentice

by bristol » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:54 am

Chris

Many thanks -top man - simply needed to put the neutrals together in a block instead of in the switch.
I have used the same switch though for the two live wires and it all seems to be working fine.
Any safety reasons why I shouldn't keep using the intermediate switch ?
Once again, thanks!

chriscba
Ganger
Ganger

by chriscba » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:09 pm

Its perfectly safe to use that switch, it is meant to go in the middle of two way lighting, eg. in the middle of a flight of stairs.

bristol
Apprentice
Apprentice

by bristol » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:18 am

Thanks mate

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:36 pm