wiring mira event xs thermostatic
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

10 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
wolfytom
Apprentice
Apprentice

wiring mira event xs thermostatic

by wolfytom » Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:51 pm

I had presumed the instructions below meant that my power shower (no heater - integrated pump) must be fitted to the consumer unit or a separate shower unit attached directly to the cu.

[quote]The mains supply must be 230–240 V at 50 Hz connected to the appliance
via a double pole switched 3 Amp fused connection unit (not supplied) with a minimum 3 mm contact separation gap in each pole.

The minimum cable size (cross-sectional area) required is 1mm2 under normal conditions of installation.
A 30 mA residual current device (RCD) must be fitted. This may be part of the consumer unit or a separate unit.[/quote]

However, I found this review and started wondering. Is it really necessary to wire to the cu as the power to the pump is relatively low? Remember there is no heater in this unit...

[quote]In terms of the electrical connection, due to the fact that this unit operates at 150 watts on a 3 amp fuse, I took a switched RCD spur off the lighting circuit - perfectly acceptable for this sort of current.[/quote]

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:02 pm

HiWolfytom, don't know where quote in last paragraph came from but such action is totally unacceptable!
your pumped 'power shower' can run from a local power circuit fed via an RCD fused spur with 3A fuse, remembering if it is in a bathroom the wiring must be done under PART P rules.
It is not permitted to run fixed appliances of this load from a lighting circuit, also the starting current if other lights on at the time will prob. trip MCB, rather inconvenient!!
regards SPARX

wolfytom
Apprentice
Apprentice

by wolfytom » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:22 pm

Thanks Sparx.

So I can power it from a socket circuit connected to an rcb - and ive just run 10mm cable channelled into the wall from the shower to the consumer unit!

What a waste of time and money...

Jeffmo
Ganger
Ganger

by Jeffmo » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:31 pm

unfortunate this one , but the only saving grace is that if you wish to put a shower in with heater element in then hay presto your already there . Just wonder that possibly instructions packed in wrong box. Regards Jeff

Jeffmo
Ganger
Ganger

question for sparks please

by Jeffmo » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:35 pm

hi sparks for info only , on fitting an outside wall light , am i right to think that this requires a minor works cert , secondly i pressume that this will need testing and inspecting,if so what level of testing is required . your normal accurate and timely responce would be appreciated. Same question for Cert and test on internal cabinet display lamp wired via junction box off existing light curcuit .Regards jeff

Jeffmo
Ganger
Ganger

Re: question for sparks please

by Jeffmo » Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:50 pm

[quote="Jeffmo"]hi sparks for info only , on fitting an outside wall light , am i right to think that this requires a minor works cert , secondly i pressume that this will need testing and inspecting,if so what level of testing is required . your normal accurate and timely responce would be appreciated. Same question for Cert and test on internal cabinet display lamp wired via junction box off existing light curcuit .Regards jeff[/quote]

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:43 pm

Hi Jeffmo, If outside light wiring already in place & just putting on fitting can't see need for cert. myself as no different to changing like for like.
Adding lights to existing circuit needs Minor Works cert. for sure,
regards as ever
SPARX

Jeffmo
Ganger
Ganger

by Jeffmo » Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:07 pm

Hi Sparks thanks for that , what level of testing required on cabinet lighting addition please , Continuity, ? insulation ? Resistance ? .Regards as ever Jeff

Jeffmo
Ganger
Ganger

by Jeffmo » Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:42 am

[quote="Jeffmo"]Hi Sparks thanks for that , what level of testing required on cabinet lighting addition please , Continuity, ? insulation ? Resistance ? .Regards as ever Jeff[/quote]

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:34 pm

Hi Jeffmo, All the above, plus installation details ie type of earth, (tt,tns,tn-c-s), protective device for circuit ie MCB type B, 6A
polarity correct, earth loop impedance, all on MInor Works Sample down load from IET web etc
also in back of regs/on-site guide etc.
regards SPARX

10 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:34 am