wiring outside post
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mistergreen
Labourer
Labourer

wiring outside post

by mistergreen » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:49 pm

I have two 3 tier post and two spotlights that I would like to wire from the fuse panel. The dilemma I have is the post lights need to be switched ( have a light switch) and the two spotlights don't. Can I run these on the same 20 amp circuit? I already know how to install the switch. I just don't wanna overload or have any issues in the future. All suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks
Mr. Green

jimmy_one_ball
Tradesman
Tradesman

by jimmy_one_ball » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:05 am

Mr Green

If I understand this correctly then in a word, NO

There is a regulation - 433.4 Overload protection of conductors in parallel - which quotes "Where a single protective device (namely a fuse or MCB) protects two or more conductors in parallel there shall be no branch circuits or devices for isolation or switching in the parallel conductors". I think this concerns your particular requirements.

Also why a 20A MCB?

Use a 6A MCB to protect the switched tier lamps and can't you simply plug the spots into an existing socket outlet? A 3Amp cartrige fuse in the plug top would be suffice.

If this is in the garden as i suspect it is then use RCBO's (unless the circuits are alrady RCD protected). Just use appropriate external cable and you're laughing.

All The Best

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:59 pm

not quite that simple, I presume these are outside lights in which case you cannot wire these yourself legally without involving building control.

We cannot therefore offer help to do reportable work,
regards

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:56 am