wiring sockets
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
novice number 2
Apprentice
Apprentice

wiring sockets

by novice number 2 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:23 pm

ive built a conservatory and the electrician has put in 3 lots of cable 1 is for lighting which ive sorted the other 2 are for sockets. why are there 2 lots of twin and earth cable? do both sets of cable go to my first socket or is 1 for 1 side of the room for sockets and 1 for the other,please help in terms i can understand

ericmark

by ericmark » Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:44 pm

I would expect it's a ring main which means one goes to one socket and other to other but also a wire between wiring both together.
But of course we must ask why is this not being completed by the electrician? Any new circuits need testing and you are unlikely to have the expensive meters required for this. Also there would be problems with paperwork as although there can be three signatures for designer, installer, and tester there is no provision for multi designers etc. If you do some of the work there may be problems in getting it all signed off at the end. And as you say conservatory I will assume this is a new circuit and comes under part P. With some electricians being able to self certify and others not it can really cause problems where jobs change electricians both with pre-notifying the job and final signing off.

All best Eric

juli-juan
Apprentice
Apprentice

by juli-juan » Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:18 pm

get the sparky back he knows what he has done and he needs to test and certify the mods and additions to circuits better safe than sorry. bad connections start fires and kill people

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:49 pm