Wiring up Switch After Moving it and Help Needed

Postby Jimlad » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:38 am

I'm helping a neighbour he removed a wall switch...

We are in the Netherlands.

There are four wires (this is a switch for 1 set of spotlights)

Green = Live
Blue
2 x Black

I used a multimeter and I get no V~ ac reading from the green to any of the other wires..

I tested the green with a light up screwdriver and it is live.

Why do I get no V~ reading? (it gave 230v in nearby plug socket)

and

Shouldn't there be a max of three wires for a simple light switch?
Jimlad
Progress to next rank:
25%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby Jimlad » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:28 pm

anyone?
Jimlad
Progress to next rank:
25%

Postby kbrownie » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:40 pm

If you do not have a point of reference to test a pole voltage indicator, you will not get a voltage reading, even if one or all conductors are live at the same voltage.
If you have a known path to earth or neutral, you can test using one of them to achieve a voltage value.
If none of the existing cores at the switch do not offer an alternative path from live, you will only get 0V, Even if they are live and carrying 230V.
kbrownie

Postby ericmark » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:01 am

I would try a Dutch forum, they tend to follow German wiring methods not British, and in Britain we tend to use the ceiling rose as a junction box, when in rest of EU they tend to use the switch as a junction box. So better to ask in a non British forum.
ericmark

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!