Wood wall paneling in a very wonky room - Help!!!
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

Marlin
Labourer
Labourer

Wood wall paneling in a very wonky room - Help!!!

by Marlin » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:25 pm

Hi there

Some advice please as this may end in divorce!!! My husband is an extreamly compatent DIYer and is very good at working with wood. He is currently paneling a wall in our living room in order to create a 3/4 high, painted, square paneled wall. Our house is a converted chapel, around 1860's with very high ceilings and as you may expect we have discovered that nothing is straight, floor off to a dip around 6" difference, ceiling doing just about the same thing, the walls nicely bowing outwards in a v shape. Obviously this has not been particularly evident until now as the only point of reference has been the door, and picture rail (the latter having been fitted sympathetically to balance the anomolies) His process to today has been to build a stud wall out of wood slightly raised (in order to house the wall mounted flat screen tv) and has marked out in pencil, using his lazer spirit level, the horizontal and verticle lines ready for the fitting of the raised bits that will form the squares. It is at this stage that the pronounced irregularities with the walls, floor and ceiling have become blatantly obvious!! The whole thing looks so far off mark it makes me feel a bit seasick to go in the room. He is insistant that the paneling must be fitted using a mathmatically correct process using the only straight point of reference on the wall, the modern door. My thoughts are that the wooden paneling will have to be adjusted in order to be more symathetic to the irregularities so that it 'looks correct' rather than being precise but looking wrong. Help - we both think we have the answer but niether of us are joiners. Don't want a wonky living room but would rather avoid divorce if possible!!! :(

It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:20 am