Wooden Lintel in a brick outhouse
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jagboy
Labourer
Labourer

Wooden Lintel in a brick outhouse

by jagboy » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:21 pm

Hi,

I couldn't see anything relevant, but I have an old brick outhouse that I'm currently re-pointing. It's single course and single story and there's a wooden lintel about 3' above the ground that's at least 2m long. It can't possibly be doing anything structural, so would it be possible to replace the lintel with a brick course? I was planning to chisel out a section at a time to make sure that as I replace it the new brick course has a chance to harden - It's very old and I'd be worried about taking it all out at once even with strongboys - they're supposed to be good for 900mm span but is this true, even with ropey brickwork?

Thanks for looking!

Martin

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

by collectors » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:26 am

Concrete Lintel Product Code: 244005 Size: 70 x 100 x 1800mm from wicks might do the trick for just over £10.00.
But it all depends on what its supporting.

jagboy
Labourer
Labourer

by jagboy » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:01 pm

A quick update: A builder suggested wedging the bricks temporarily with slate bits whilst the cement hardened. I did a couple of bricks at a time over the course of a few weeks and all seems good. This was done in the summer and there's no sign of movement :-)

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:43 pm