Woodworm in floorboards
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
cherryb
Apprentice
Apprentice

Woodworm in floorboards

by cherryb » Mon May 12, 2008 10:26 am

We moved into our 1930's semi 6 months ago. Two weeks ago I noticed small woodworm-like holes in one of the floorboards in the middle of the hallway (floorboards are exposed). I hadn't noticed these holes before so was concerned it might be new woodworm. I carefully filled each hole with filler - there were about 10-20 holes scattered over a 2 foot length of the floorboard. Now, a week or two later, I have noticed more holes in the same floorboard, so I guess it must be live woodworm. I have read about Boron treatments that you can apply to the surface, but my question is, should I just paint this over the top of the affected floorboard, or should I also treat adjoining floorboards, or should I lift the floorboard (which would damage it) and treat the underneath too, and even the joists underneath?? Thanks in advance for your help.

john9159
Ganger
Ganger

Woodworm - sorted!

by john9159 » Tue May 20, 2008 4:46 pm

Hi,
Had this problem in my sisters house which was much older than 1930's.
I used something called Tri Hexylene Glycol Biborate commonly sold with the trade name "Brunol". I treated all timbers under the floor and a face mask was essential.
Not sure if you have to be licensed to get this now as it is a powerful pesticide but it did the trick (I can still smell it now after 20 years!).

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:28 am