Would Foundations be Needed for Garage Conversion??
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

10 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Mayonline
Apprentice
Apprentice

Would Foundations be Needed for Garage Conversion??

Post by Mayonline » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:05 pm

Hi, I'm having my single garage converted into a children's room. The up and over door will be removed and replaced with 13 courses of bricks (about waist height) and a full width window.
My question is, will I need to get a foundation dug out for the brickwork? Or will the bricks be able to sit on top of the concrete that forms the base of the garage?
I've attached a photo which I hope helps. I'm not sure how thick the concrete is, but I could find out by removing some of the driveway you guys reckon I may be able to avoid digging a foundation.
Many Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Would Foundations be Needed for Garage Conversion??

Post by welsh brickie » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:11 pm

no foundation is required but to prevent damp I would paint the floor with buitumin first.

Mayonline
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Mayonline » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:37 pm

Thank You very much.

Do you not need to know how think the concrete is?
Do others concur with this?

Appreciated!

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by welsh brickie » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:06 pm

the 13 courses of brickwork is not load bearing, the concrete will be a minimum of 100mm thick for a vehicle to travel over. therefore no foundation is required

Mayonline
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Mayonline » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:24 pm

OK.
Thank You for this info

rob4wd
Labourer
Labourer

Post by rob4wd » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:19 am

hi there

was trawling this forum and came across this. had to register to save you from rubbish advice hopefully not too late. yes you need footings to the depth of your existing or break out the slab toe and install 2no. concrete lintols below ground. building on (even just 13 courses) a floor slab is not acceptable

regards

rob swallow(builder)

Mayonline
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Mayonline » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:01 am

Hi Rob,
Thanks very much for chipping in and no, you're not too late, the work hasn't started.
The 13 courses of bricks will span the length of the single garage door and a UPVC window will then sit on top of these. The concrete slab is obviously thick enough to withstand a car driving over it. Are you adamant that I will need footings or two lintels?
Once again thanks for your input here.
Paul

rob4wd
Labourer
Labourer

Post by rob4wd » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:20 pm

hi paul,

yes I am adamant and so will your building inspector be. I have had to do this work retrospectively for customers whose move had stalled because of it. (not my conversions). I know what you are saying and in practice, loadwise, it would probably be ok (although difficult to connect floor dpm to dpc) but in theory it is not acceptable. you will need to submit a building control application anyway and once done most inspectors are quite helpful these days and will advise you of the requirements.

regards

rob

Mayonline
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Mayonline » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:34 am

Rob, your advice is much appreciated!
Thank You

GarvielLoken
Labourer
Labourer

Post by GarvielLoken » Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:32 am

rob4wd wrote: yes you need footings to the depth of your existing or break out the slab toe and install 2no. concrete lintols below ground. building on (even just 13 courses) a floor slab is not acceptable

regards

rob swallow(builder)

Thanks bro! Thats what the inspector said. Can you explain the Lintol thing in more detail

10 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:18 pm