Would the Walls be Load Bearing in our new 1970's Property in the Kitchen?
Re-generate an old or tired space and give it a fresh breath of life. Click here for answers, information and tips

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
nyitraikaroly
Labourer
Labourer

Would the Walls be Load Bearing in our new 1970's Property in the Kitchen?

by nyitraikaroly » Wed May 20, 2015 7:59 am

Hi All,

I just moved in with my girlfriend to our new home (built in 1970's) in the UK and we are fitting a new kitchen.
My question is, can we remove both these walls, or at least one of them? It would make the kitchen much bigger and more comfortable.

The 2 walls are sitting in the middle of the ~6m wide property about a meter apart. They are 8-9cm wide, with the thin but tall grey bricks (sorry, I don't know the appropriate name).
The beams are sitting on both of them, but the joints are only on the left handside one. There are no walls sitting right above them, only the cross beams.
The cross beams are ~40cm apart and are joint from the 2 sides on the middle-left wall. I didn't have the time to ask an architecture to take a look at it yet, but a friend of mine who worked in construction assumes that only this wall is load bearing.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Attachments
IMG_1109.JPG
IMG_1110.JPG
IMG_1108.JPG
IMG_1107.JPG
IMG_1105.JPG
Screenshot_2.png

nyitraikaroly
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Would the Walls be Load Bearing in our new 1970's Property in the Kitchen?

by nyitraikaroly » Thu May 21, 2015 8:08 am

I sketched up the plan floor maybe that's gonna be some help. It's a mid-terraced house btw.

I'd want to knock down the 85cm long wall which is 220cm away from the outer wall (well joint wall with the neighboor actually).

There's already a 34cm long, 19cm wide hole cut on it for the old ventillating system, and it's made of bricks 45cmx21cmx6cm.

Read more: http://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/are-t ... 8/#3389304#ixzz3akqZHXW4
Attachments
Screenshot_1.png

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:32 am