12V DC Wiring in Shed
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
gary1981
Labourer
Labourer

12V DC Wiring in Shed

by gary1981 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:51 pm

I'm currently looking at wiring my shed with 12V DC for powering lights, couple of USB sockets etc nothing heavy, just more convenience.

To charge the batteries I'm looking at a 20A charger (Input 230V AC 2.2A) via an extension lead (2.5mm² cable with commando plug on one end and 3 pin on the other with 13A fuse) which will also power a couple of sockets in the shed. (heaviest use, corded drill 650W PF correction of 0.8) would I get away with just installing individual MCB's between the commando plug inlet and the mains sockets & charger or is there something else I'm missing?

The 12V side will just be standard car wiring with an ATA fusebox for whatever I end up installing. I might also install solar at a later date but something I can make provision for.

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/dc-p ... z5up8sxNDt

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: 12V DC Wiring in Shed

by Mr White » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:40 am

Your question has already been answered on the other forum where you asked it.
If you wait long enough ericmark will post the same reply here as he did over there.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:00 pm

OK yes same reply, lead acid batteries will not charge fast, with NiFe, NiCad, NiMh etc you can fast charge, but not lead acid.

You can charge them a little faster by using valve regulated lead acid (VRLA) also called glass mat these are used in cars with stop/start technology, and it includes a computer to decide when to inhibit the stop start.

I have a caravan parked in my drive, it has a cable connecting it to the garage at all times, the connections as such that it's safe to use 24/7.

However I would not connect up a garden shed in the same was, why is a good question. I can't really say why, but with the caravan we do go on holiday with it once a year at least, so the cable is disconnected, rolled up and inspected.

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

by Mr White » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:55 pm

To add to what ericmark has said, it will be more expensive to run a shed on 12v than it will be to run it on the mains, as you will have to buy batteries and a charger, you will also need to buy dedicated 12v lights and what else will you run since almost everything is designed to run on mains.
You would be better off having it all permanently wired in and supplied by a SWA cable.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:43 am