Hi folks. I had an iron plugged into a 2 gang 2 switch socket. When I turned the switch off at the socket it was plugged into the fuse in the plug blew and the circuit tripped. I've checked the wiring at the socket to see if there's anything obviously wrong but I'm not sure, I'm thinking maybe the earth should be connected on each side, rather than just one? I've attached a photo so please anyone let me know if I'm missing anything.
Socket wiring looks OK. As to why switching a socket off should cause a fuse in plug to rupture there is no good reason, all I can think is at the same time you have moved the cable into the plug which has caused the short circuit.
DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!