2 gang 2 way and 1 gang 2 way switches!!!
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
x123
Labourer
Labourer

2 gang 2 way and 1 gang 2 way switches!!!

by x123 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:47 pm

I know that similar q's have been asked about this, but I have been unable to find answers in the existing posts....

I have 2 switches in my living room; a 2 gang 2 way switch and a 1 gang 2 way switch. I want to replace both with dimmer lights.

The existing set up for the 2 gang 2 way switch is:
Light 1:
Com = light brown
1 Way = blue
Light 2:
Com = dark brown
1 Way = grey
2 way = black

The existing set up for the 1 gang 2 way switch is:
Light 2:
Com = dark brown
1 way = black & blue
2 way = grey & light brown.

Any thoughts on how to wire the new switches - the set up above doesn't work and nor do the instructions in the pack. fyi instructions in the pack are:
2 gang 2 way:
Light 1:
Com = light brown
1 way = blue
Light 2:
Com = grey
1 way = brown
2 way = black

1 gang 2 way:
Light 2:
Com = grey
1 way = brown
2 way = black & blue

Many Thanks in advance!!!

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:34 pm

hi,
Not sure if your set up is 3 sets of lights on 3 switches or as I suspect, 2 sets of lights, 1 on 2way & 1 on 1 way.
If second is correct then ignore instructions!
What matters is the colour of the cores in each common term.
In one way sw. fit as before ie bn in com & blue (which should be taped/sleeved brn) in L1 of sw,
light 2 as was eg bn com. grey and black (which again should be sleeved / taped bn).
remaining switch is not altered as you can't put dimmers on both ends of a 2way circuit!

x123
Labourer
Labourer

by x123 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:44 am

[quote="sparx"] remaining switch is not altered as you can't put dimmers on both ends of a 2way circuit! [/quote]

Why does it not say this on the instructions!! Blinking B&Q! I'll give it a try again this morning now that daylight is back and fingers crossed...thanks

x123
Labourer
Labourer

by x123 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:50 am

Now then - I have put the 2 way on/off switch back on the wall (controls both the dining and living room light) as the builder put it in. Sorted - works controlling both lights no problem.

HOWEVER, the other light switch (controls the living area light only) is not working as a dimmer. This is only giving a very dim light. Any ideas??? I have wired it up as the builders did and as the instructions give in the dimmer pack and to no success. Any help please!? :roll:

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:36 pm

Builder,builder???
as you have new colours your wiring must have been done by a registered electrician who you may need to get back to connect your dimmer correctly.
First a quick check, if you connect the 2 wires together in a connector does the light come on full brightness?
Also I presume you are not trying to dim a low energy lamp!! which you can't do with a standard dimmer.
sparx

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:58 am