2 switches into 1
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
stewartxwright
Labourer
Labourer

2 switches into 1

Post by stewartxwright » Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:53 pm

I have a 2-way switch on my hall/landing. At the moment there are two seperate switches upstairs and the same downstairs. I only want one.

One switch has a single wire going in with L1-yellow L2-blue and com-red as I expected. The other has two wires going in the reds are joined and the yellows and blues enter the switch in L1, L2, L3 and L4.

How do I put these into a two gang switch?

Stew

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: 2 switches into 1

Post by BLAKEY1963 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:18 pm

[quote="stewartxwright"]I have a 2-way switch on my hall/landing. At the moment there are two seperate switches upstairs and the same downstairs. I only want one.

One switch has a single wire going in with L1-yellow L2-blue and com-red as I expected. The other has two wires going in the reds are joined and the yellows and blues enter the switch in L1, L2, L3 and L4.

How do I put these into a two gang switch?

Stew[/quote]

STEWARTXWRIGHT
NORMALY LIKE THIS , SEPARATE IF ONE OF THEM IS AN INTERMEADITE SWITCH, IE , RED JOINED, YELLOW AND BLUES ENTERING AND GOING THROUGH L1,L2,L3,L4.
I DO NOT THINK YOU CAN GET A TWO GANG SWITCH, WITH INTERMEADIATE AND TWO WAY COMBINED.
YOU MIGHT GET A PLASTIC SINGLE BOX SIZE IN GRID SWITCH SET
UP , BUT U MIGHT NOT BE CONVERSANT WITH THIS AND NEED TO GET
SPARKY IN JUST TO CONFIRM CONNECTIONS AND TEST .
INTERMEADIATE IS USED TO CONTROL LIGHT FROM 3 POSITIONS OR MORE. ( LONG CORRIDORS OR TWO SETS OF STAIRS ON TWO OR MORE LEVELS.
BLAKEY 1963

Home Automation
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Home Automation » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:23 pm

Sounds like one switch is a two way and the other is an intermediate (middle) of a three (or more) way.

If you manage to buy a 2 gang switch that is 2 way on one side and intermediate on the other then let me know where from!

The simplest answer is to look at grid switches so you can add one module of each, just check the L1 L2 or B1 B2 locations in the intermediate when transferring wires as they may be in different order.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:54 am