2 Way 2 Gang Smart Light Switch Wiring Difficulties
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Enrico
Labourer
Labourer

2 Way 2 Gang Smart Light Switch Wiring Difficulties

Post by Enrico » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:32 am

Hi,

I have purchased a 2 way 2 gang smart plug for my kitchen but have come across difficulties with the wiring.

My setup:

There is one 2 gang 2 way socket that controls two kitchen lights.
There is a one 1 gang 2 way socket that controls one of the above lights
Another 2 gang 2 way socket that controls the other kitchen light from the first socket as well as an external light.

I'm not fussed about the outside light being smart but I purchased the smart socket to replace the first socket on the list to work the kitchen lights.

I've attached photos of the two sockets below. From the old socket to the new smart socket, I took L3 from the top and L2 from the bottom into L.
L1 from top and L3 from bottom into L1
The last two went into L3 and 4 neutral wires into N.

The lights will switch on by all of the sockets fine but only the smart switch can turn them off. Can anyone explain where I'm going wrong?

Thanks in advance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: 2 Way 2 Gang Smart Light Switch Wiring Difficulties

Post by Mr White » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:53 am

Not wishing to appear to being pedantic, but if you want people to understand then you should note that sockets do not control lights. Switches control lights, you have changed a switch.

Could you post a clear in focus picture of your new switch now it is wired up, and also what is the make/model number of the switch, and what lamps have you in your light fittings (Type and rating in watts please)

Enrico
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Enrico » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:11 pm

Yes sorry I meant light switch and know there's a difference. I'm also changing plug sockets so that's probably where I got the two missed up.

I do not have the new switch wired up anymore due to not wanting to suffer the wrath of the other half because she couldn't turn off the lights properly so I put the original back on. I can refit them though if necessary and take a picture then.

The switch has the company name Innens but there seems to be one company making them and Innens and others then put their name on the front. The model number is: SDCS86-02CMW. This is it: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07V2F5WXQ? ... b_ap_share.

The bulbs are Philips 11w Genie Energy Saving Bulbs.

Thanks for helping.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by ericmark » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:34 pm

The switch you show seems to be marked L, L1, L2, L3 N it seems as if the L2 is an unused hole, so one it needs a neutral which often is not found with a British light switch, and two it seems to be two gang not two way.

In the main British smart switches don't require a neutral like the MiHome energenie range, and use a master and slaves where a terminal often marked slave or S connects between master and slaves which does not carry mains voltage so would be damaged if you try and pair with a standard two way switch.

I use energenie because I also use it to control the central heating, however the price of the hub means not the best option for many.

It will work with a remote control without using the hub, but not a phone or PC.

Enrico
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Enrico » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:09 pm

ericmark wrote:The switch you show seems to be marked L, L1, L2, L3 N it seems as if the L2 is an unused hole, so one it needs a neutral which often is not found with a British light switch, and two it seems to be two gang not two way.

In the main British smart switches don't require a neutral like the MiHome energenie range, and use a master and slaves where a terminal often marked slave or S connects between master and slaves which does not carry mains voltage so would be damaged if you try and pair with a standard two way switch.

I use energenie because I also use it to control the central heating, however the price of the hub means not the best option for many.

It will work with a remote control without using the hub, but not a phone or PC.

Yes this is exactly how it is with L2 missing. I have neutral wires as my house is only 5 years old so it should work. Got a few other stitches set up already but this is the first apparent 2 gang 2 way switch I've purchased. I did have my suspicions as to if it was actually 2 way even though the box says it is. So there's no apparent way to use this other than as a 2 gang switch?

I will have a look at Energenie but I'm currently happy with IFTTT controlling the home with automation.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by ericmark » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:47 pm

Energenie is IFTTT enabled, I think they are expensive once you add cost of hub, but I already have a hub.

I noted the S terminal but the master has no instructions as to it's use, only when you buy a slave does it explain how it is used.

I think there are better options, but you need to down load instructions before you know what they do, which is rather time consuming. For example unless you use IFTTT there are only three timed slots.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:42 pm