2 way pull switch works only when other switch is in certain position ?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
patch1234
Labourer
Labourer

2 way pull switch works only when other switch is in certain position ?

Post by patch1234 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:53 pm

i have a pull switch in bedroom and it will only work when the wall switch at top of stairs is switched down and visa versa , i have renewed both switches but still the same , what is causing this , it was working fine until recently , could it be the ceiling rose , all wires appear to be in ok . thanks

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: 2 way pull switch works only when other switch is in certain position ?

Post by Mr White » Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:04 pm

Switches do not "interact" with each other unless someone did something / changed the wiring.
You need to establish who did what, and reinstate it, failing that, without being there to see and test everything, you need the services of a competent person to check it for you.

fuseboxwales
Labourer
Labourer

Re: 2 way pull switch works only when other switch is in certain position ?

Post by fuseboxwales » Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:28 am

Two-way switches have x2 wires connecting them both together, the current will travel down one or the other depending on the position of the switches. It sounds to me like the current is only able to travel down x1 of the wires. The other is either not connected properly or has been damaged somewhere along its length. This can be a tricky problem to locate without testing equipment.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:22 pm