3 Gang Light Switch
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ronti
Labourer
Labourer

3 Gang Light Switch

by ronti » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:24 pm

Just moved in. Lounge has 2 wall lights and a central ceiling light. An old 3 gang (damaged) light switch controls these but one set of wall lights do not work. On opening switch, all earth wires are connected but one red and one black are lying loose. There are two connected red wires and two black - one with red tape on it. I bought a new switch but the instructions cover every other type of switch except 3 gang! The new switch has 4 connections along the top, com, 1way, 2way, com. Along the bottom are 5 connectors, 1way, 2way, com, 1way, 2way. Can anyone please tell me where I should connect each wire? Thanks.

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: 3 Gang Light Switch

by BLAKEY1963 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:13 pm

[quote="ronti"]Just moved in. Lounge has 2 wall lights and a central ceiling light. An old 3 gang (damaged) light switch controls these but one set of wall lights do not work. On opening switch, all earth wires are connected but one red and one black are lying loose. There are two connected red wires and two black - one with red tape on it. I bought a new switch but the instructions cover every other type of switch except 3 gang! The new switch has 4 connections along the top, com, 1way, 2way, com. Along the bottom are 5 connectors, 1way, 2way, com, 1way, 2way. Can anyone please tell me where I should connect each wire? Thanks.[/quote]

RONTI
IF U HAVE 3 RED AND BLACK CABLES , AND 2REDS R IN COMMON
OF BROKEN 3 GANG ,AND BLACKS R IN L2 S OPPOSITE THESE
COMMONS THEN BLACKS R SWITCH WIRES I ASSUME FROM WHAT U R SAYING. EACH RED WOULD GO INTO A COMMON OF EACH OF THE 3 SWITCHES ON NEW SWITCH AND INTO L2 OPPOSITE THE COMMONS
WOULD GO EACH OF YOUR BLACK SWITCH WIRES, WHICH SHOULD B TAGGED RED. IMPORTANT TO KEEP EARTHS AS THEY R SECURELY CONNECTED !
BLAKEY1963

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:13 pm