3 way switching using 2 pulls switches + one wall switch
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
lesleyd
Labourer
Labourer

3 way switching using 2 pulls switches + one wall switch

by lesleyd » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:48 pm

Hi!

I have a pull switch, mounted out of sight within a bedhead framework on one side of our bed which operates as a two way switch with the wall switch at the door. I want to install another pull switch at the other side of the double bed, so either of us can turn the light on and off from our own side. As I understand it, I need a switch with two L1s and two L2s as an intermediate switch. I cannot seem to locate a PULL switch with this arrangement. I know how to amend the wiring to this configuration, but the required switch is elusive ! Can anyone suggest where I can obtain the required switch or how I can wire a standard one or two way pull switch to achieve the same thing if this is possible?

acsimpson
Foreman
Foreman

by acsimpson » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:14 am

I can't comment on the wiring regulations as I am not an expert, but could you put an intermediate switch at the door and use 2-way switches for the 2 by the bed? It would use more wire but I think might work.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:26 pm

lesleyed,
I have a pull switch, mounted out of sight within a bedhead framework?
What does this mean? is it installed as part of the bedhead or on the wall?
As far as wiring is concerned acsimpson has answered your question, this type of work is not noifiable work as it is addition to an existing circuit, but it must still comply to BS7671 and a minor works certificate will need to be made out to ensure it does!
KB

lesleyd
Labourer
Labourer

by lesleyd » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:11 am

Thank you both for your input.

I think I am just going to leave things as they are. The door switch is not easily accessible from above, so I do not want to use that as an intermediate switch.

The simple installation of an intermediate pull switch seems to be a 'no go'.

acsimpson
Foreman
Foreman

by acsimpson » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:35 am

would a mechanical solution be possible. By using pulleys or just screwed eyelets you could attach a second sctring to the first switch. which would allow it to be switched from either side of the bed.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:29 am