4 cables in light fitting how do I wire up light?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
dchopp
Apprentice
Apprentice

4 cables in light fitting how do I wire up light?

by dchopp » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:52 am

I have moved into a property. The previous occupants removed the light fitting in the hall and did not leave any indication as to what two wires should be used. There are 3 twin and earth cables ( in red and black ) and one cable with red,blue and yellow wires plus earth. All wires are wired into 4 plastic blocks. The three red and black cables are wired as three reds and three blacks, the the red blue and yellow cable is split into red and blue and the fourth block is just yellow. I believe this is double switched.

Please can you advise me which blocks I use for the light fitting. Many thanks

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:00 pm

Hi
the key to this is the switching, if as you say it's a hall light then unlikely to be 2 way switched, look in sw. & see how wired. If single sw. then possibly 1 core not used (Yel/Blu?). if double (2Gang) sw, then would expect to find Red linked to both switches & Y & B one from each sw. back to light, more info please & will advise accordingly, regards SPARX

dchopp
Apprentice
Apprentice

by dchopp » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:28 pm

Thanks SPARX

The switch is a triple. One switch controls the upstairs light and it is wired red,blue and yellow. The other two switches control the hall and the outside light and one cable wired red, blue and yellow is shared by these.

A red is linked between the two switches and the hall switch has a yellow wire and the outside light a blue wire. There is an empty wiring point on each switch.

I hope this helps. I deduce that one of the blocks I use is the yellow.

Thanks

Dchopp

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:29 pm

OK now we are getting somewhere, you need to use the yel as your live to the light & the neutral of light goes in with all the other 3 blks. , earth of course with the others, the red/blue pair are in fact a loop on to the other light (outside), think that should do it, regards SPARX

dchopp
Apprentice
Apprentice

by dchopp » Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:21 pm

Hi SPARX

Many thanks for that and your time.

Job done

Dchopp

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:28 pm